Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Trip to Iowa and Portland's Snowpocalypse

We've had quite the weekend!  Anna and I took a trip to Iowa to go see Heidi perform her Piano Recital for her Master's Degree.  We had a great time once we got there, but the travel was a bit crazy because Portland got hit with a rare snow storm!  It has snowed a few times here in Portland this winter, but up until last weekend it had never stuck.  Well, last Thursday morning it started snowing like crazy.  We got at least 2 inches and the whole region started shutting down.  Jeremy's office sent everyone home around 2, schools were all canceled Friday, and it was all over the news.  It was kind of fun except for the fact that I needed to fly out on Friday morning.  They just aren't prepared for this kind of thing because it happens so rarely, so I was worried about making it to the airport on snowy/icy roads and my plane making it out.

Well, we left at 5am on Friday morning, and the highways were clear enough that we made it to the airport by 6.  I thought I was home free, since my flight left at 7, but then one of the flight attendants was 20 minutes late, so we couldn't board, and then once we finally did board, it took them 45 minutes to de-ice the plane, since they just had one tiny little hose.  Ugh.  So my 3-hr leg turned into 4-hrs and I missed my connection by mere minutes.  I was so sad!  I was supposed to be meeting up with my parents in Minneapolis and we were on the same flight into Cedar Rapids.  They tried to hold the plane for me, but they didn't fake a heart attack or anything so it didn't work. ;)  The next flight out wasn't for another 4 hours, so Anna and I got to hang out in the airport for what seemed like an ETERNITY.
 Good thing I had such a cute travel buddy. :)


 We survived the long wait and were getting ready to board when my next flight was delayed, of course, because of maintenance.  Awesome.  So I was first supposed to arrive in Cedar Rapids at 2:30, then at 6pm, but I didn't get in until about 7:15.  Amy and Rob picked me up and brought be dinner (thank you!) and we went straight to the recital and walked in right at 8pm (when it started)...13 hours after I left the house that morning.  It was a long day to say the least!  Especially with a squirmy baby.  But we made it just in time and Heidi's recital was AWESOME!  She had a great turnout and she played so well.  Her program was really difficult and I was amazed at her stamina!  I can't wait to listen to it again (hint, hint, I want a CD, ahem).
 (No time to change out of my jeans)  Heidi looked stunning!
 Jazz hands!
Amy, Rob & Elise were there, along with my parents and of course Heidi and Sam.  Sams's parents came too so we got to visit with them on Friday night.  Saturday was my dad's 59th birthday so we had a fun time celebrating with him!  Amy and Heidi and I got him a cake and we all went out to dinner and had a fun day relaxing and staying warm inside. :)  It was snowing all day there too.
Sunday, we all went to Heidi's church and Amy, Heidi, and my Mom and I sang a quartet.  It was so fun!  There's nothing like singing with my mom and sisters (we missed you Wendy!).  After church we went back to Heidi and Sam's cute apartment and they fed us and sent us on our way!

On the way to the airport - sweet baby was very tired most of the trip.
It started snowing again in Portland on Friday and didn't stop until Saturday night, so Jeremy said they got a good 6 inches!  Pretty exciting.  They canceled church on Sunday and schools were canceled again on Monday.  Luckily I made it back home fine.  Our flight out of Cedar Rapids was delayed and I barely made my connection (six minutes to spare!), but we had no trouble landing in Portland and it sure felt good to be home!!!  Jeremy and the boys had a good time but I think we were all ready to be done with that adventure. :)

And here are a few pics of the snow here in Portland!



 Unfortunately it was too dry and fluffy to make a snowman, but Jeremy said they still had fun.


Good times.  My friend Laura was so sweet to watch the boys on Friday for me.  Jeremy didn't actually go into work because of the snow, but he had a lot of work to do at home, so it was so nice she could take them.  Funny story - she was trying to put Connor down for a nap, and she was having a hard time.  She came downstairs after finally getting him down and said to Eli and her kids, "I practically had to lay on top of Connor to get him to go to sleep!" and Eli says very seriously, "My Mommy would never squish us like that".  HAHA.  I thought that was hilarious.  Thanks, Eli.

It was an exciting weekend!  The snow is already all melted thanks to some glorious high temperatures we've been having this week (along with LOTS of rain), so it seems weird to see these pictures from just a few days ago.  I don't mind it being gone though! :)

5 comments:

Ken and Marlene Astle Family said...

Sarah you are such a trouper! I thought it was so sweet of you to come to Iowa with a baby and be so supportive of Heidi and then you had such a tough time getting there. You made it so fun and special by being there. Dad and I love all of you so much and it was so a delight to share the week-end with you, Anna, Heidi, Sam, Rob, Amy and Elise. Good times! I LOVE singing with all of you girls too:)! The only thing that could have been better is having Wendy and Steve there! Thanks for blogging again and sharing your life with us. I loved the pictures of Anna in the airport and the boys in the snow in Portland.

Heidi Worsham said...

Wow, those pictures of your boys in the snow are so cute. :) I love Eli in his beanie- he looks like such a Nowland!
Sarah, thank you SO much for coming. I feel so blessed to have such a supportive and loving family. It was so wonderful to have you here!!! We love you!

Rob and Amy Weaver Clan said...

Way to hang in there, Sarah! That was a memorable weekend!

Wendy McNiven said...

It's great to read your account of the crazy travel day! I've heard about it, but it's fun to read it in your own words. I am so glad you all made it in time for the recital! I am sorry I did not make it, but I'm glad you all had so much fun supporting Heidi, celebrating dad's birthday, singing together, etc.

Mimi Nowland said...

I am glad that you made it there! Eli makes me laugh, he is right though, you would never squish them like that!