Friday, June 6, 2008

Bad weather + good books = happy sarah

So, it hasn't felt much like June the past couple of days. It's been unseasonably cold and wet. We saw on the news last night that in the past 24 hours, we had received almost as much rain as the average for the whole month of June. Pretty crazy! And they got about 3" of snow up in the mountains. Our garden has been very well watered, though, and is doing very well.

So, since it's been gloomy, it's been the perfect weather for staying inside and reading. I have had a lot of free time on my hands, so I have decided to read a lot this summer. For the last 10 years I really haven't read much besides what I was required to for school, so I've missed out on a lot of good books. I had kind of a turning point last summer when I finally decided to read the Harry Potter books, and I ended up reading all 7 in about 3-4 weeks. But then school started up and I didn't really read anything until the Twilight series on tour. But, since I got home from tour, I got a library card which can be used at any library in Salt Lake County and I have been a couple of times now.

So, I finished Pride and Prejudice the beginning of this week and then I just finished Jane Eyre today. So sad!!!! Oh my goodness, I cried like a baby a couple of times, but it was very good. I also checked out Wuthering Heights, which I will start on Monday, and Persuasion, which I will read after that. Also on my list of books I would like to read are the Chronicles of Narnia, the other Jane Austen books, and some newer books that have been recommended to me lately. If anyone has suggestions let me know! I'm loving reading lately and I'm on a roll.

Funny story...I was talking to my little sister Heidi the other day and I came to find out that she is quite the reader herself. I should have known, since she has expressed an interest in being and English major, but I guess I just didn't really think about it. I just assume everyone is illiterate like myself and hasn't read these great works. Well I was wrong. I started telling her about how I started Jane Eyre, and she says, "Oh! That's my favorite! It's so good!" and then I told her how I read Pride and Prejudice and she says, "Oh! That's so good! I read that in 7th grade!" (Meanwhile, I'm feeling lame and wishing I could say, "oh yeah, me too, I was just re-reading it....right") and then I told her about Wuthering Heights, and of course she had read that...and this went on and on. So, I have discovered that I really am playing catch up here and have missed out on some great books. She was nice to me though and just humored me. :) She gave me some other good suggestions too. I told her we should start a book club with our family and she thought that was a good idea. So maybe we will. Sisters? Mom? What do you think?

Anyway, this ended up being longer than it was intended, but that's what I've been up to! Today is again gloomy and tomorrow is supposed to have scattered thunderstorms too, but it's kind of fun or a little while! I hope everyone who reads this is doing well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, a good book is a very happy thing. On Memorial Day, when the weather was so awful, I just holed up in my apartment the whole day and read a book. It was the best! :)

Jessica Mosteller said...

Hello from your cousin Jessica. I got your blog address from your sister amy's blog. Your house looks adorable and it looks like you and Jeremy are doing well. We have a blog too. www.mostellernews.blogspot.com
It will be fun to keep in touch this way.