Before I share our thoughts about everything, I wanted to say how welcomed we have been by the church members here. We attended our branch of about 50 people on Sunday, and everyone was so sweet. Our landlady is in the branch and knew we didn't have any furniture, so she told her husband, who announced it in Priesthood, and by Tuesday we had a couch, a bed, a dresser, 2 end-tables, computer chair, lamp, and crib. Wow! We were so overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone. These are on loan, so we will be giving everything back of course. We had originally hoped that between Craigslist, garage sales, and the church members, we would be able to find a few basics, but they just took over and helped with everything we needed - and then some. We also bought a kitchen table/chairs at a garage sale the day before from a nice neighbor who, when I told her our situation, said she'll buy it back from me at the end of the summer for the same price! What a sweetie!
Let me say, having a bed and a couch has made a world of difference this week! We have all hardwood floors, and it was hard not having anywhere to sit but the floor. We are feeling very blessed.
I'll write more about our other impressions of the south later, but here are a few pictures to get started. This is an end-table we got from my friend Megan who lives here (who I knew as a kid). We used it as our kitchen table the first day or so:
It worked perfectly for the boys. One level for each of them!
Then with our new table (with dinner dishes still on it, oops)
The house we're in was built in the 60s so it has this lovely wood paneling in the dining room. It also has a room painted pink and a bathroom with pink tile and a pink tub. What were they thinking?!? Haha. We actually really love the house though. The kitchen is ginormous compared to our Pittsburgh one, and it's really a nice place to live.
And here are some pictures of the boys playing outside. I love the big mature trees in the yard - the yard! It's so fun to have a big yard to run around in.
I have to keep reminding myself that we 're just here for 3 months and it's not my job to fix everything up. It's against my nature and is very hard, but I'm trying! I really want to take a large power tool to those bushes in front of that nice bay window, but again...not my job (nor in my budget to purchase all the tools necessary to get this place lookin' awesome). :) A look at part of our neighborhood...
Oooh! A leaf!
Chalk art. Do you see his eyes, smile, arms, legs, and hair? This kid's an artist. :)
Oh! And we planted some plants! There were a lot of pots left here, so we decided to fill a few. We figured we'd be here long enough to harvest something, so we planted 2 tomato plants, basil, mint, and parsley. I hope they survive!
That's all for now. More to come later!
6 comments:
So happy to see the boys loving the yard! And VERY happy you were able to fill a few pots with plants. How fun! Wish we could visit there! It looks lovely!
So fun to see the boys and hear all about your adventures. I am so impressed with your happy expressions about life in Alabama! I love that you filled the pots. Your dad will be so proud:)It was heart warming to hear about all the kindness shown to you in the ward. Maybe you could ask the landlord to borrow her power tools for the bushes:)I would reward such good desires if I were her!
Woohoo! So fun! I want to come visit... I want to come visit everybody! Haha. I love that you planted spices, you are so cool. :)
You must be forgetting the pink tile tub and counter in our house in Elk Grove! :)
I am so happy that you have been blessed with so much since you have been there. And you are right- Eli is quite an artist! Russell still only scribbles.
Looks fun! I love all the lush greenery right now here in NJ, and down there as well. The trees, grass, everything is lush and beautiful! Your plants look great, and I'm so glad you have been so taken care of by your branch. Sorry I never called you back the other day, we've been so busy!
Hey Sarah! I was happy that your blog address was so easy to remember because I totally lost the little piece of paper that I wrote it down on. :) I am so glad you guys are doing well. I hope that Jeremy is enjoying his internship. I am jealous of your yard. It looks so nice and big and yardy! I am excited that you are so good about blogging because even though I am a slug with posting on my own blog, I thouroughly enjoy visiting the blogs of others. :) Happy Summer! We miss you guys already!
Post a Comment