Sunday, July 3, 2016

Trip to Utah, Part Two - Family Reunion in Heber!

This year's Astle Family Reunion was at my Uncle Alan's "cabin" (super nice big house) in Heber, Utah! It was a perfect reunion place. It had 7 bedrooms, lots of bathrooms, a theater room in a massive basement, a gorgeous view of the mountains and room for everyone to enjoy each other. We got up to Heber on Tuesday afternoon and left the next Monday morning. I think the reunion "officially" was Wednesday - Saturday.

So...Tuesday we played some games and ate dinner and got settled in. 
Then on Wednesday we drove to American Fork Canyon and hiked up to the Timpanogas Caves. It was a serious hike! Despite being drenched in sweat and a bit weary by the end, it was a really neat hike. I was really proud of my kids for doing so well. Grace obviously was carried the whole way, but all the rest of my kids hiked the entire way up and down that quite steep mountain. They were pretty wiped out by the end. The boys thought the cave was awesome and Grace did better than I expected (she sadly isn't too fond of being in the baby carrier).
Eli was Seth's buddy on the hike. The only time I saw him was when we went in the cave. Thanks for taking care of him Seth! And for taking some pictures!
 Grandpa and Connor stuck together the whole way up the mountain.


 There were some amazing views!

 Anna with her headlamp inside the cave. Hehe.









 All done!
 That night we replenished our burned calories by eating at a buffet on the way back to Heber.
 Thursday, we had a more low-key day at the cabin. We played games, did some water baseball, and the kids played a lot together in the basement.

And we took a million pictures of these cute babies together!






 These pictures are a mix of Tuesday and Thursday...












 It was so great to spend some time with my sweet Grandma too!



Friday was boating day! Alan volunteered his time and boat for us on Friday. He took some of the older kids and some adults out early that morning and then came back and let the rest of us and some of the younger kids go out. I wasn't sure what my kids would think, but they all really wanted to do it and they loved it! Anna was a little nervous sometimes, but she did great, and Grace slept the whole time in her adorable life jacket. The boys went on the tube with some of their cousins and had a blast! It was so cute to see them all having such a great time together.

Uncle Alan and Grace in her straight-jacket, I mean, life-jacket.
These kids are so cute! Grandma with Anna (3), Connor (5), Garrett (5), Sydney (5), Vanessa (7), and Eli (7). I'm so glad my kids have so many fun cousins their ages!
Below: Alan, Michael (I love my cousin Michael! He was awesome with the kids and demonstrating his sweet surfing skills), Eileen and my brother-in-law Michael, Jeremy, and me with the sleeping babe.
Jeremy tried "surfing" and was a champ! He got up the first time.
Poor Eileen was not very pleased to be on the boat, but she quickly fell asleep in Grandma's arms.
Cute kids on the tube!








After the boating we ate lunch and played in the sand for a bit before heading back to the cabin. I can't remember exactly what else we did that day, probably just more playing and hanging around. At some point during the reunion we also watched a bunch of old family videos. That was fun to see everyone as kids and to look at the resemblances to our own kids now.


 Morning devotional:
 Jesus wants me for a sun-BEAM!


 Saturday was a great day! My parents invited my dad's whole family up to Heber, so his mom, all of his five siblings, and most of their kids and grandkids were there! I think there were about 70 of us. It definitely wasn't a long enough time to catch up with all of them, but it was really fun to see them again. We got really close to them when we lived in Utah, and miss seeing them more often! I didn't get very many pictures that day, but hopefully my dad will share his someday...(ahem, ahem).


Jeremy's Aunt Deana catered lunch and dinner that day! It was delish as usual!
Then it was over! Heidi and Steve both left early Sunday morning, then Amy and Wendy left Sunday afternoon and we left early Monday morning. Thanks for planning a fun reunion Mom and Dad!

2 comments:

Ken and Marlene Astle Family said...

That was such a fun post and brought back all the happy memories of a great reunion! I think the recipe for a great reunion is a wonderful family that loves one another. I love my family:). I appreciate all the sacrifice everyone made to be there and thought it was so great to see all the extended family too! Thank you for posting all the wonderful pictures and documenting all of it! You are a wonderful daughter!

Heidi Worsham said...

Fun stuff and great pictures! Your kids were totally amazing on that hike, and I could look at those pictures of Grace and Levi all day. :) That really was a great reunion. They get better and better every year!