Isn't that sad? Don't get me wrong. I love where we are. I feel like of all our siblings, we are in the most central location and we probably get to see family the most of anyone. And I'm glad that we're within reasonable driving distance of a few siblings and our parents. (Sorry Wendy and Mimi. We miss you guys). And I talk to my sisters and mom on the phone a lot (I've decided men just don't do that very often - aka Jeremy and his brothers). And I have a lot of aunts and uncles very close by, which is great, so I rarely feel family-less.
BUT...I still think it's sad that none of our immediate family lives near each other (and it makes my mom even more sad; sorry for bringing it up, mom). There's a difference between the sibling-sibling or parent-child relationship and the aunt-niece or grandparent-grandchild kind of relationship. We were thinking about how our relationships with our immediate family would differ if we lived close enough for a "just come over for dinner" visit or "sure I'll come watch the kids for an hour" kind of deal rather than a 3-4 day stay every few months. I think it would make a big difference. I wonder if we would be closer or if it would just be different. What do you think? Have you experienced both? I wonder if we will. It's hard to know where everyone will "end up". But it sure sounds like fun to live close enough for a pop-over visit sometimes...
Below: Me & my siblings and parents (and babies & grandma) last June
9 comments:
We became soooo close with both Klane's and my parents and families living near them. It was really nice to feel comfortable spending time together and popping in on each other whenever. I don't think we would've become that close if we'd always lived far away. And I'm so glad we had that time before we moved across the country! I think wherever we end up living, that bond will always be there. I can totally say that my parents in-law and brothers and sisters in-law are some of my very best friends. We all love hanging out together. It's great! I dunno how it would be if we'd all lived apart the whole time, maybe we'd still be good friends. Who knows!?
From the time I was nine years old until I went away to college I lived within three blocks of my aunts and uncles and cousins. And the grandparents only lived about two miles away. We went to grandma and grandpa's for dinner every single Sunday. I VERY much miss living close to cousins. That is what I had always wished for my children and it has been difficult for me to have everyone living all over the US.
Hopefully things will settle down in a little while and we can at least get back on our visiting everyone in their own homes every couple of months schedule...
I guess that is why both your family and ours think it is so important to spend time together at least twice a year with all (at least all that we can gather) being together and getting to know each other better.
Yeah for loving cousins and having support of aunts and uncles (and boy do we ever need support during these times).
Debbie
We have lived close and far from family. I prefer living close, to be able to help each other out and to be friends. I wish that we could live closer to Jared's siblings. I love them all so much! We sure enjoy the time we do get the spend with you guys, hope we can see you soon. You never know what the future may hold!
Sarah you are such a sweet and wonderful daughter. I can only dream of someday having everyone live close by. I try not to think about it much because it is not that much fun or productive to be sad all the time! I have to count my blessings and know that we are blessed to live in an age where we can at least talk on the phone. I love you and all of your siblings so much.
I MISS YOU, TOO!!!! I would LOVE to live closer to family. I would LOVE to pop over for dinner, or have someone over here, or WATCH KIDS and be able to have family watch mine. That would be fantastic! As it is, I'm glad we can visit as much as we do, and that we have blogs, emails, phones, etc. We'd love to have you visit us any time!
We are the same way! Kevin:Texas, California,Oregon.
Ellen: Maryland,Colorado,Nebraska, Nicaragua (soon to be Idaho).
It is sad not being close to family...but at the same time, I LOVE HAVING JUST KEVIN AND ME! It's kind of nice feeling like a seperate family of your own.
hey - could you send me your address? i want to invite you to my baby shower. suzanagarrett@gmail.com
So your saying you're going to move by us?? Just kidding. Rob is always on the lookout for jobs here for our siblings. Sounds like fun!
(this is Rob),
We would love to hop over for dinner, especially if you are cooking Sarah. And you could come over anytime also.
I swear brother in laws get less weird the more time you spend with them.
We love living close to my sister, but we'd love to have more.
Post a Comment