Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls and Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake


Today is a double-wammy. I promise I do make healthy things too. It just so happens that all the recipes I've posted so far are not so healthy. I'll try and do better next week. :)

So before General Conference last April I was looking around online for a good cinnamon roll recipe and I came across this one. I liked it because you can make the cinnamon rolls the night before, roll them out and put them on the pans, and then cook them the next morning. I'm just going to post the link to the recipe because it's pretty lengthy. So I made them for the first time last April and they worked pretty well and then I tried them again this past weekend and they were FABULOUS! If you do the refrigerator method though, I suggest taking them out several hours before you want to bake them OR put them in a warm oven and they'll rise pretty quickly.
Cinnamon Roll Recipe*: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/CinnamonRollsFantastic.htm

Next is a recipe I tried spur of the moment last week on Jon's birthday. I didn't know they were coming up until about 5:00 that evening, so I had to scrounge around to see what I could come up with. I didn't want to do a boring straight-from-the-box cake, but I didn't have too much on hand to do anything fancy, so I found this recipe in Jeremy's mom's cookbook. It actually does use a cake mix, but it uses a bit more too. Sorry the picture is so bad, but I forgot to take one of just the cake. Here's the recipe.

Lemon Poppy-seed Cake

1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix (I used yellow; it's what I had)
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
4 T. poppyseeds (I only had about 1 1/2 T., but it worked)
1 pkg. instant lemon pudding

Throw all together and mix up. Bake in a well greased bundt pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan before taking out. Use a light glaze or powdered sugar and water for frosting. I used a lemon glaze.

Lemon Glaze:

1-2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 T. lemon juice
a little milk, if needed

I just combined the powdered sugar and lemon juice, and then added a little milk to make it a little thinner. Then I just poured it over the cake! (I didn't really measure, but just taste it and see if it needs more lemon or whatever).

*FYI: If you are a vegan (Rebekah) or can't have dairy (Abby), I saw a link to a veganized version of the cinnamon rolls on the comments section of the recipe. I have no idea if that would be any good, but I thought I would mention it. :)

7 comments:

Angie said...

You're a goddess! Those cinnamon rolls look incredible! I've always been intimidated by cinnamon rolls. Are they very hard?

Sarah said...

Wow! A goddess. You're nice. They actually weren't very hard. I've tried other recipes that didn't turn out very well, but this one was pretty easy and the directions were really clear. You should try them! It'll be worth it!

Rob and Amy Weaver Clan said...

Okay, obviously it has been way too long since I checked your blog! Love, love love the pictures of Eli! Is that really him sitting up???????? I cannot believe he is that big!! (Stop growing, Eli!)
Your food looks delicious! I made those cinnamon rolls too and they were yummy!

Abby said...

These look great! Thanks for the heads-up on a dairy-free version!! I'm excited to try them.

Mimi Nowland said...

I love cinnamon rolls, I will have to give these ones a try! I am impressed that you were able to throw together such an impressive cake with so little notice.

mini-wheats said...

Everytime I see cinnamon rolls on your blog, I drool a little! I am going to have to try these out sometime! I have been wanting to make cinnamon rolls!

Rebekah said...

thanks! as i was reading the post, i was thinking, "hmm, i wonder how i could veganize that cinnnamon roll recipe . . . ." i'm definitely going to check out the link!